Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a reboot of a very long dormant series that brings nothing new to the action genre but ushers in a new-era of Jack Ryan. Very stereotypical thriller with political themes that were more relevant during the original films 25 years ago.
Continue for the full review.
SYNOPSIS: Jack Ryan, a young CIA analyst, uncovers a terrorist plot to crash the U.S. economy at the hands of Russia.
Bits I Loved?
- Cast does a stellar job bringing some personality to their characters, particularly Kevin Costner and Kenneth Branagh.
- Branagh‘s eye for detail as a director keeps this somewhat repetitive and cliched script afloat.
Bits I Hated?
- The script is incredibly repetitive and cliched.
- Yet another safely made reboot that offers nothing excitedly new.
- Lacking in action equivalent to other current spy films, such as the Bourne trilogy.
- Brings back the Cold War theme post-Cold War, making the social commentary associated with it less relevant.
- Not enough character development or empathy created for them. Film should’ve hit the 120 minute mark as to allow for more scenes dedicated to this.
Is It Good?
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a prototypical reboot of an old franchise. God this is really starting to sound familiar. Seems like Hollywood just likes to rehash passable remakes instead of creating something innovative. This film brings nothing new to the table with repetitive and cliched action that lacks in comparison to other current spy films mixed with fairly outdated political and social commentary. The characters are not developed enough for the audience to really empathize with them, however the cast stills makes these characters enjoyable. The highlight of this film is Branagh‘s ability to keep such a safe, cliched script somewhat entertaining. Perhaps lengthening the film to two hours would have allowed for better character development. With a franchise like this, a new Bourne series could have been created but instead it turned into a rather forgettable film. Watch if you enjoy stereotypical spy thrillers.
1 = Fair 2 = Good 3 = Very Good 4 = Excellent
★★☆☆ – Premise
★☆☆☆ – Story
★★☆☆ – Characters
★★☆☆ – Visual Effects
★★☆☆ – Dialogue
★★★☆ – Visuals
★★★☆ – Soundtrack
★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆ 5/10 – Consider
What did you think? Let me know in the comments!